Thursday, June 30, 2011

IT Dept - Day 8

- Started in room 320 after Gerhard picked up me and the others.

- In Room 320, a machine I used already had a virus that was some sort of a Trojan. Gerhard said that we were going to re-image the machine with Windows 7 PE (Professional Edition). I close the virus can on the Trojan and rebooted the machine with the custom cd of Windows 7 PE that allows us to re-image the machine from another machine where Gerhard was sitting. Todd Derr explained to me how to start up Symantec Ghost32 8.- with the correct settings of re-imaging. The correct settings were selecting "Multicast", and typing "5" for session 5 in the new window that popped up after. Then I clicked Okay 4 times on the verification pop-up windows to start the re-image process. It took 25 minutes to complete the re-imaging. The re-image finished and Gerhard said to reset the computer. This reset forced the cd-drive to eject, so that I could take out the custom Win 7 PE cd and let the computer reboot.

- Now to begin running Anti-virus software to test them against 100 known virus websites. The 100 known virus websites are updated regularly. The IT Dept still wanted us to test more Anti-virus software to narrow down the list when choosing. I chose the Anti-virus "Comodo" because I learned the Webroot edition was a Enterprise Server Edition that would require a serial key. I ran Comodo against 100 virus websites using the batch file process that Brock showed me before. The batch file made the websites load automatically, instead of copying / pasting every website link every mouse click. Basically, it decreases the time of testing the 100 websites against an Anti-virus.  Comodo Anti-virus blocked the batch file from loading most of the 100 virus websites. Only 40 websites got through the firewall that were eventually considered blocked. I explained this to Gerhard and he thought it was great that Comodo Anti-virus blocked the batch file from successfully loading all 100 virus websites. I had to restart the testing of the virus websites by allowing the batch file to properly run. Then I had fully tested the 100 virus websites. Than I had to re-image the machine so no viruses were on the machine.

- Lunch

- After lunch, I ran another Anti-virus which I found a free trial version of. This was the Webroot Antivirus. Gerhard had the Enterprise server edition which required a serial key. The free trial version I had found off of www.download.com. Testing of the 100 virus websites was complete after 30 minutes.

- Went with Chris Spivey and Todd Derr to the Childcare Building at the other end of Wake-Tech to download a new version of Skype for a user. We also had to make sure this user can log-in with their username and password. The user was Vanessa Gilliam. After everything checked out correctly on the machine and with Skype, Chris Spivey put the machine in a Deep-Freeze mode. This Deep-Freeze mode allows the machine to retain user settings and software as long as it is turned on.

No comments:

Post a Comment